Avoid falling prey to emergency room chaos and hospital hazards
Emergency room care expert Robert Derlet, MD and experienced aging care physician Joel Cohen, MD offer priceless insights and insider tips on how emergency care and hospital treatment, while well-meaning, harms older adults â€“ particularly frail elderly. Baby Boomers, chronically-ill seniors, caregivers and home-based healthcare providers of all stripes will gain valuable insights to help older adults get the best possible care.
Get updates & Resources
Join our email list to receive updates as the launch approaches. We’ll also send you stories and resources to help you better manage trips to the ER.
BoomER: Emergency Room Survival Guide for Baby Boomers and Older Folks offers transformational tools to middle-aged and aging readers as well as those who care for them
- Should grandma take that newly prescribed medication or is it no better than poison? Become a drug skeptic, not a medication magnet.
- Learn why â€œless is moreâ€ is a safe and wise approach to medical care for seniors. The current system emphasizes more drugs, more procedures, more treatments. The result: more trouble.
- Do not wait for a stroke to sledgehammer your health. A novel teaching tool empowers people, identifies risk factors, and may augment recall and understanding of symptoms.
- Use BoomER tools to demand thorough Pro-Con explanations from doctors who recommend treatments, tests or hospitalization. Feel your â€œPatient-Powerâ€ growing!
- Why do seniors wilt while under care in hospitals, even when the sudden sickness is improving? Learn about possible alternatives to hazardous hospitalization.
- How many tomorrows remain? Three-quarters of American adults lack end-of-life care plans. People can die in a sterile hospital room surrounded by strangers, or in a cozy bedroom while holding hands with loved ones. Ignore this unpleasant subject at your own peril. Follow a BoomER trailblazing â€œDie-Happyâ€ advance care plan toward quality end-of-life care.
Baby Boomers and older folks: Snatch back medical decision power from doctors.
Sections just for Caregivers
learn key clues to spot serious illness early, avoid medical crises, and perhaps prevent suffering and risky hospital stays for frail elderly.
Use BoomER IC-Question Kits to demand thorough Pro-Con explanations from doctors who recommend treatments, tests or hospitalization. Overcome your doctor-phobia and get truthful answers. Feel your â€œPatient-Powerâ€ growing!